Works as a member of the Professional footwear team to develop top class products that meet our customers’ and consumers’ expectations with regard to design, functional performance and return on investment. You will be responsible for developing and engineering the product from initial concept through to pre-production, with primary focus and ownership up to the go-to-market product. You will align with Sales Director, Product development director and the owners of the company on prioritization of project goals and resources.
- Create new product material specifications and work with material and component suppliers in their implementation.
- Maintain understanding of Industrial footwear consumer and competitive brands and provide insight on how we can maintain and increase our competitive edge with respect to the technical footwear attributes of our product. This includes competitor product benchmark tear downs, traction analysis …
- LAST & Safety TOE CAP Development – Works with Product development, R&D and sales to initiate and oversee the development of lasts/toe caps based upon desired aesthetic, performance, comfort and fit while maximizing use of existing last/toe cap library and brand fit consistency.
- TECHNICAL PACKAGE DEVELOPMENT - Analyzes specifications, materials, construction, fit, pattern and process at each stage of the development process providing input as needed to ensure fit, function and manufacturability. Actively participate in all product related milestones, from kick-off through commercialization.
- UPPER PATTERN DEVELOPMENT - Executes against strategy for components and manages upper development for manufacturability, fit, functional performance, cost and desired aesthetic throughout product creation process.
- MATERIALS & COMPONENT Development - Coordinates and maintains material and structural specifications as well as the follow through on the testing of each individual component to maintain standards for quality, type and durability with regards to compounds, construction and mold type.
- MOLD Development – Manages mold development conformance from initial drawings through confirmation of sample size ... Validation includes responsibility for optimizing sole design in support of slip/traction requirements.
- FOOTWEAR DEVELOPMENT to be executed in meeting Industry Safety Footwear Standards to ASTM, CSA, EN-ISO and any other country specific related footwear safety compliance requirements.
- COSTING Objectives – Maintain chemical costing and technology file in order to investigate relevant improvement options, (chemical price, cost, and productivity).
Skills & requirements
- Minimum of 5 years of (safety/occupational) footwear engineering and development experience.
- Degree or equivalent experience in Safety Footwear Engineering, Materials Engineer, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Polymer Chemistry.
- Experience with Footwear Certification to Safety Footwear Standards (ASTM, CSA, EN-ISO) or equivalent compliance certification is a must.
- ‘Strong knowledge of the product creation process (footwear construction, technology, manufacturing, material construction, sourcing etc.) and how it integrates into operations and manufacturing.
- High level of knowledge of footwear textile, leather and synthetic materials specifications, applications and test methods.
- Experience in tender business is highly recommended.
- Ability to communicate effectively in a world-wide environment with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Maker’ approach to problem solving. Highly resourceful and adaptive.
- Demonstration of innovation and initiative – Curious and open minded: always open for a challenge. Ability to challenge the status quo – always looking at improving our products and processes while also displaying a willingness to dive into the details.
- Must be willing to travel to Asia up to 8 times a year.